Short story

The midnight radio


I just wanted to put down my thoughts about what happened to me years ago

I was 21,a depressed youngster. No perfect apartment, not a good job. It was like I was surviving life. I was not lining life. Even I and my girlfriend were not getting together.

I used to be constantaly either at my work or home. I had totally forgotten that a life existed beyond that. When I was at home I used to stare at the radio given by my grandfather on my 16th birth day. I thought at that time "what a dumb gift to give your grandchild!"

Now months of depression and lonelyness have made me think why not try it once. I switched it on. It started to crackle a bit. Nothing. I thought like rest of the world this dumb radio too have left me.

My ckoockoo clock struck 12 in midnight. Suddenly something came. A voice of a hunting song. At first I was frightened but when I started to listen deeply, it was not just a hunting song but a huntingly beautiful song. It relaxed me, it opened up my nerves, every thought in my mind flew away. It was like there was just me and my beautiful song.

After 15min the song stopped. Again the radio crackled and normal radio station started to play. I got irritated l. I tried to adjust the station but nothing happend.

The next day, I was unable to stop thinking about the radio station and the song. I was so lost in my thought that I was unable to concentrate on anything. When my colleauge asked me,"you are looking lost since morning. What is the matter?
I just wanted to get rid of the weight on my shoulder about the radio station so I said.

"Nothing much. But last night I was unable to sleep. So I turned my radio on. As my watch struck 12 in midnight a hunting song started to play. It was frightning but It was just beautiful  to hear." As i completed
My colleague said "dont kid around"
But I told him that i was not. "If you dont belive me come to my house this night."

And  so he ended up in my house at 11:30 in night, we both sat and talked and I tuned the radio to the same channel as i did the day befor. It was 11:55. "I am sure that it wont be anything , just some radio mixing." He said. "No!"
And the same hunting but beautiful song tuned in I just mesmerized it.

But my coulleage he just holded his chest tightly and rushed out. I didn't care. The next day in my office I came to know that my colleagu  passed off due to a cardiac arrest in an hospital. I was taken aback.

That night I tuned the radio. It was 12:05 but nothing came, I tried all sorts of things to listen to the song. But it never came.

The next day my headached, I was irritated and felt no better. So I took a early leave from the office.

I was sitting in my room, in the afternoon. I was thinking that if this hunting song is coming every night, than there would be for sure a radio station or something which tune the song.

I felt restless. I quikely searched the whole internet for some answer to my midnight station. But nothing was found. I even went in town librery for books on such things but other than some fictional stories I found nothing.

Than I thought what if this song this station is not only heard by me but by more people like me. At first I thought there may be thousand of such people, but then I thought that when my colleagu can die listening to this than so does other people.

For thinking over a long time I came up with the idea of pasting tamplets all over the city.

Ten days passed in no time, I was listening to the same hunting song that night. A call came in as soon as the song finished. "Hello" was the voice. "Hello" said I. "So you are searching about the midnight station arent you?" "Oh yes please tell me your name"

"Whats in the name. Just listen well. I too was onece like you, a normal guy until one night the midnight radio tuned in. Thats what we call it. I was in my car, listening to the radio, when it tuned in. After many days of listening I came on a conclusion of searching more about it. Than I found a society, which was all about the midnight radio. Like you they too are searching for the answeres. I cant talk much. But i have a feeling , that you may come to know the secret. But dont tell it to any one"

And the man was gone. I was puzzeled by all this. I got no call, message or anything form him for many months.

Than one day in August when my huntingly beautiful song ended, there was a letter. A G.

I paid attention and noted it down, the next day it was R. After that A. Than N than D. Than B,E,L,L,M,O,U,N and than at last finally the T. When I noted them down it made Grand Bellmount.

When I searched it on internet. It was an abandoned palace nearly 200km away from city.


The next day I mounted in my car and stopped for nothing. Whem I reached Grand Bellmount it was midnight. It was looking too hunted and creepy. But I gathered my courage and went in the palace. I heard the voice of my hunting song. I followed it. And found myself in a dark but unnatural lit room.

I saw my refelection. When I entered it turned to me and in no time it was crumbled to dust leaving a note behind which said.

"Dear myself in the past,
Finally your mystry is solved. I am your dead soul in futur. Many times the dead soul have a chance to say or warn the past alive self of the soul. We cant communicate in your living beings language. The persone who hear our language die soon after. But when one hears ones own soul, it wont die.
Many more souls are related to tje midnight radio. No one comes to hear us. But......
You, you found me, came to listen me I am glad.

I have only one thing to say to you. Your life is short. 23 january 58 years left of your life use them wisely"

I was afraid i ran from there and some how reached my house.

I lived a good life after that. I got marrid, got promoted. Started to go out a lot. And I never heard the midnight radio ever again.

Now 58 years later, its 23 january. And i am writing this as I slowly drift away from my life.

Nidhi Pawar.

Comments

Popular Posts